Re: LRO: Guinness

From: Paul (l.andie@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Jun 15 2001 - 05:23:08 EDT

    In article <008a01c0f530$772ac1a0$02000003@chstfld1.va.home.com>, Larry Smith wrote:
    > Please do come for a visit. Between the few of us, we can show you some
    > sites. In fact, I live behind Union lines about 100m from a Union "redoubt"
    > (hey, its a fort to me!).

    OK. I have put your message on "keep" for when I get a vacation!

    I have heard some bad reports regarding the safety of Richmond Va, but I have not actually met anyone who has visited there!
    Plenty of people at work (British Airways) have been to Washington, but no-one seems to have "Gone South". I tend to take
    these shock horror reports about American cities with a pinch of salt anyway. I try to avoid bad areas when warned about them
    and I trust my "bad feeling about this" antennae. All big cities are dodgy, parts of London being no exception.

    >Penny Lane is owned by an ex Liverpuddlian/Mersysideman who dabbled with
    different bands. Decent chap who serves a somewhat Americanized version of
    British food. Before someone's knickers get in a twist - he has to make a
    living in an area where turnip greens, pinto beans, chittlin's, and other
    things pass for food.<

     I tried some local recipes in Georgia a few years back. Interesting! Some good, some repulsive..

     One of the most fascinating drives I ever made in the US was from Savannah, Georgia to Charleston, South Carolina.

     Kudzu in the trees, country music on the radio (not that there was any choice!) And the sound of banjos in my brain
     I kept wishing I had never seen "Deliverance".

     And when I saw a Sheriffs car I nearly messed myself because I was so scared of getting locked up for speeding!

     The truth is, however, everyone I met was charming and curious to know why this crazy Brit was visiting the area.

     Never saw any Land-Rovers at all!

     Paul