LRO: front t-case output seal.

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jun 13 2001 - 10:45:53 EDT

    Did this job last night. Thought "I need to change the tranny and t-case
    fluid anyway, so I'll drain them now so that I don't get oil all over me
    changing that seal." Then I drained them. Then I filled them!
    When I got the propshaft off I remembered I'd refilled the t-case. Oh
    well, it'll drip a bit. Place oil thing under it.
    Attack the cotter pin. Clearly this tranny (off a parts truck) was the
    winning entry in a "how big a cotter pin can you stuff in this hole"
    contest. The thing was HUGE! I had to break it, hacksaw it, and
    eventually, drill through it lengthwise to get the bugger out.

    Got the flange out only to find the leather seal was IN THERE. No hope
    at all of wedging it out w/ a screwdriver.

    So off comes the front output housing, a bugger to get at, for sure.
    Those nuts ain't 1/2 and they ain't 9/16". Fortunately 13mm fit 'em
    perfectly. the upper right one leaves you no space for removal so I had
    to cut my 13mm wrench in half to use the box end on it and actually be
    able to turn it (advantage of buying crap tools is you don't feel bad
    doing this).

    Once the housing was off I had to beat the living heck out of that seal
    to get it out--even from behind. Good thing I pulled the housing when I
    did instead of wrestling in futility any longer.

    Housing and new seal are back on, will order a speedi sleeve for my
    output flange today.

    bill