Re: LRO: Re: Re: Engine/Trans Swap

From: TeriAnn Wakeman (twakeman@cruzers.com)
Date: Mon Jun 11 2001 - 15:19:18 EDT

    >I was wondering about this myself. According to ashcroft, if you go with
    >their high range transfer case, you can't fit the older lower range gears in
    >it. If you use their underdrive transfer case, you cant use the overdrive.
    >So how did we work around this?

    The Ashfroft kit provides you with a new complete transfer case gear set
    and you end up with IIA low ratio. The best way to get a lower overall
    ratio is to use a gearbox with a granny first. Mine gives me a first
    gear low range of 70.4:1 using stock series diffs. With the same set up
    high range fourth is 4.12:1 final drive. Or 65 MPH at 2814 RPM with my
    32 inch dia tyres. The NV4500 will not give you as low a first gear but
    it does have that nice fifth gear overdrive. Only problem is that is is
    a long gearbox and would make for a real short rear prop shaft in an 88.
    You really should have a 109 if you use that gearbox.

    TeriAnn Wakeman Marigold Ltd.
    Santa Cruz, California Web design, site updating, testing
    webmaster@overlander.net search engine optimization, graphics
                                  and more

    http://www.overlander.net/Marigold/index.html