Re: LRO: Kate and Sidney Pie, was British Beer

From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus (Alan_Richer@Lotus.com)
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 18:59:48 EDT

     Anyone have any tips on brazing in replacement footwells, I am
    hoping to start on this next week, so that I can continue with the
    frameover.

    Yup - brazing is right out on structural steel (which anything attached to
    the bulkhead is) Find a weldor and save yourself a lot of grief.

    Brazes, because they are not metal fusion, will crack and fail. Not a good
    idea....also against the law in inspection depending on the state.

    I've seen brazed repairs after a while - one 88 I bought had brazed-on
    outriggers - which had cracked along 3 sides and were peeling off the frame
    underneath. The brazing had failed...not the metal substrate. That frame
    got scrapped in a big hurry....

    If you do all the prep and fitting getting the stuff welded should be cheap
    enough...

                        ajr