LRO: Engine/Trans Swap

From: WhatsUp129@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 10 2001 - 17:51:06 EDT

    I have come up with the ideal engine/trans swap for my series IIA. GM 2.5 inline 4 (or mercruiser 3.0), and an SM420 truck transmission mated to the stock LR trans case. 1st gear on the SM420 is 7.05:1, and 4th is 1:1. This transmission with an Ashcroft converted transfer case or overdrive, and 4.10:1 gears in the axles would give approximately 95 mph at 3000 rpm, with 33" tires. This will also give a 85:1 crawl ratio, right in the ideal range for rock crawling. My question is, has anybody done such a swap? I know Timm has a SM420 (or SM465) in his 109, but anybody else? BTW, If you have a problem with me modifying my truck to better suit the purpose I need it for, please keep it to yourself. Lets not start the whole Hybrid war again. If you dont have anything nice to say, keep it to yourself : )

    Thanks,
    Adam