Re: LRO: Re: Frame bushings

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 08 2001 - 16:41:00 EDT

    I doubt that the rubber has a torque tube effect on the suspension. The
    resistance of the rubber to twisting just isn't enough to really affect the
    motion of the shackles. Believe the rubber is bonded to the outer sleeve
    just to keep the inner sleeve centered in the bushing. The inner bush is
    slightly wider than the frame so the shackles don't rub up against the frame
    when they flex. With the rubber bonded to the outer sleeve, the inner bush
    is held in the middle. A bushing with the rubber completely gone can allow
    the spring to mover enough to cause problems, like the tire tearing up an
    inner fender, BTDT. Of course that explanation doesn't cover the
    Polyurethane bushings, which I understand don't have an outer sleeve.

    Aloha
    Peter O