LRO: Steering Relay Removal

From: Rich & Lori Williams (paddlers@nwlink.com)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 23:07:14 EDT

    Trying to remove the steering relay.

    Top 2 bolts undone.

    Bottom 4 bolts on flange undone. The 4 smaller bolts inside the perimeter
    of the flange I am guessing stay put as the flange blocks their removal.

    Flange seems "age-welded" as it won't budge. Neither will the relay unit.

    Any suggestions or hints. Soaked the whole thing down w/ wd-40 too.

    Also, the realy thats on the truck has two bolts at oiling points. One at
    the top of the relat spindle and another along the side at the level of the
    frame. I have another relay unit on the shelf that only has the top oiling
    point. Not exactly sure what Series rig this came off of.

    Is there a vintage difference between the two? Any other differences?

    My truck is a Series II 1960 109sw.

    Thanks.

    Rich