Re: LRO: Steering Relay Removal

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Sat Jun 02 2001 - 23:18:47 EDT

    On Sat, 2 Jun 2001, Rich & Lori Williams wrote:

    :Trying to remove the steering relay.
    :
    :Top 2 bolts undone.
    :
    :Bottom 4 bolts on flange undone. The 4 smaller bolts inside the perimeter
    :of the flange I am guessing stay put as the flange blocks their removal.
    :
    :Flange seems "age-welded" as it won't budge. Neither will the relay unit.
    :
    :Any suggestions or hints. Soaked the whole thing down w/ wd-40 too.

    Blue wrench the frame seems to be a common solution. AJR will tell you to
    rebuild it in place. One solution I've seen work is to chain a piece of
    1/4" steel plate to the frame, and use the plate to support a bottle jack. Put
    pressure on the bottom of the relay, soak with good penetrating oil, and
    leave overnight. Crank the jack up tight the next morning, and reapply
    penetrating oil. Repeat until done...

    David

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com