Re: LRO: Re: weird Salisbury leak

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 00:23:47 EDT

    On Tue, 29 May 2001, Hope Peter wrote:

    :> I have raised breathers, but, yes, I will check to see if they're
    :> clogged. The weird thing is that this leak (apparently) started while
    :> she just sat, when internal diff pressure wouldn't have been an issue.
    :
    :
    :What I have always wondered is...what causes this pressure?
    :Is it the heating cooling/expanding contracting thermal dynamics thang? Or
    :is it something to do with petroleum breaking down.
    :
    Heat. Axles get hot, the air in the casing expands, and wants to go
    somewhere. If the breather is clogged, it'll force oil past a seal.
    Usually it's the axle seals, at least on Rover axles, but the pinion seal
    and the gasket between the diff and axle casing can leak because of this
    too. I had a breather get plugged up, and drove around for a couple of days
    without it, while it was soaking. I was suprised by the amount of oil that
    appeared to have been expelled from the hole.

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.