Re: LRO: Land Rover 5 bearing engines.

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 00:25:04 EDT

    The heads are the same, even for the 2.5.

    I'm not sure from your post whether you are planning on buying a 5 main or
    not. Anyway, the extra power is not in the crank. 5 main and 3 main
    engines put out the same hp, if every thing else is equal.
    'Huli' has/had a 5 main and really couldn't tell the difference, in use,
    between that engine and a 3 main. Personally, I wouldn't pay a premium for
    a 5 main engine.

    If its power you're after and you want to spend the money, get a 2.5 short
    block. Just be sure the proper flywheel is installed. Assume its the
    normal flywheel, just metric, but remember getting sent a new flywheel a
    couple months after the engine arrived. Never asked why, just used it since
    it was brand spanking new.

    BTW Starter motors are different for the 5 main engines so if you do go
    that route, don't forget to order a starter along with the engine.

    Aloha
    Peter O