Re: LRO: Re: weird Salisbury leak

From: William J. Rice (jarvis64@juno.com)
Date: Wed May 30 2001 - 00:06:12 EDT

    On Tue, 29 May 2001 05:45:26 -1000 "Hope Peter" <hope_peter@bah.com>
    writes:
    > What I have always wondered is...what causes this pressure?
    > Is it the heating cooling/expanding contracting thermal dynamics
    > thang? Or
    > is it something to do with petroleum breaking down.
    >
    > Pete

    My understanding is that the pressure develops as everything warms up and
    the air inside the diff / swivel ball/ tranny expands. Regular breathers
    enable the pressure to escape, I guess air makes its way back in as the
    thing cools. Raised breathers enable a more rapid (and more complete)
    equalization of pressure, which becomes more important when you wade and
    thereby rapidly cool your diffs, for instance.
    Raised breathers are also much less prone to clogging, tho' not
    completely immune. Ask my friend Travis, who thought he heard weird
    noises coming from his rear diff and decided to check the oil level in my
    (heretofore clean--yes, this is foreshadowing) driveway. His oil level
    was fine, and his raised breather had somehow clogged--he got a facefull
    of oil, and I got a nice puddle on the driveway. It was pretty funny.

    bill