Re: LRO: Tranny rebuild opinions sought

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 01:57:32 EDT

    > Genuine parts aren't necessarily any better than non-genuine. It might
    > be worth using them for things like gears and shafts, just for the piece
    > of mind, but for bearings and seals, get them locally.

    I ordered my gears from LR Supermarket in the UK. They gave me the choice
    of genuine parts or aftermarket (AllMakes I think) I went aftermarket.
    First time driving the truck off road, the first gear snapped in half.
    Second time I ordered all genuine gears.

    The next time I build a tranny I will use genuine gears. It could have just
    been a fluke, maybe I did something wrong pressing the gear on, or maybe it
    was a bad part, I don't know.

    I will always order stuff like this from the UK though. All the gears and
    bearings for the tranny weigh about 20 pounds. With shipping and handling I
    still saved over 30% from getting the parts from dealers in the states.

    Pete