LRO: Tranny rebuild opinions sought

From: Rich & Lori Williams (paddlers@nwlink.com)
Date: Sun May 27 2001 - 01:53:53 EDT

    Since the begining of the restoration project I have planned on rebuilding
    my tranny. It's an "A" suffix unit, thought I would upgrde to a "D" unit
    and have the whole thing sorted through. Because this task exceeds my
    abilities, I have two choices in this matter and would like everyone's
    opinion.

    1) I can have someone rebuild my tranny for me using genuine parts for a
    considerable amount of money.

    OR

    2) I can purchase a ready-to-go "D" tranny for about a 50% savings - this
    unit may/may not have been rebuilt with genuine parts.

    Anyone have any wisdom to share here? Any experience with buying rebuilt
    tranny's?

    TIA

    Rich Williams
    '60 SII 109 SW - Lucy