LRO: Dirt inside the chassis

From: Rich & Lori Williams (paddlers@nwlink.com)
Date: Fri May 25 2001 - 10:32:40 EDT

    Brief progress report on my 109 frame-off: Busy day yesterday. Took the
    bulkhead, door posts, breakfast, fan, fan shroud, seat rail bits, battery
    box/oil canister thingamabob and the mud flaps (the metal ones) to the sand
    blasters. Two hours later they were done and I was headed back home to get
    everything covered in a couple coats of etching primer. By 10 pm I had
    sanding primer on some things and a few bits that still needed a bit more
    etching primer.

    At this point all I have that resembles a truck is a rolling chassis with a
    rear tub. That's coming off this weekend, then I can get to work on the
    chassis. No rot found yet but it's on its way.

    My question relates to the outriggers where the rear springs connect to the
    frame. The outside ends are closed but for a 3/4" opening along the bottom
    edge. I am assuming that they are all the same - right? Anyway, this is a
    wonderful soil gathering device as it is full of it - dirt that is. And
    this is one place I have seem frames rotted through and through - no wonder.
    So is there a purpose to this opening at the end of the outrigger? If not,
    is it smart to close it up? And how does one get all the crud out of there?
    I have considered pointing the power washer down in there and blasting out
    as much as possible. What about adding some carefully placed drain holes to
    assist in the flushing. Any thoughts, etc. are greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,

    Rich Williams
    '60 SII 109 SW "Lucy"