Re: LRO: Transmission Removal

From: DaveB (rovergawd@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 15:29:12 EDT

    --- John Karlsson <karlsson@oco.net> wrote:
    > I've done it with a crane and the roof off, but I think it's a lot
    > easier
    > to leave the roof on, use a rope slung around the transmission and a
    > 2x6 ,
    > and find a helper to handle one end of the board.

    I've carried enough transmissions. No more. Lifting it with a crane and
    rolling the crane out is easier than carrying it, 2x6 or no. When I say
    "crane" I am referring to the ubiquitous 1 or 2 ton purpose-built
    hydraulic engine hoist on casters.

    For clutch jobs, I use a 2x4 supported by the inside roof rails. A
    large (3/8") eye bolt and a come-along are suspended through the 2x4.

    This also works well for removing and installing the trans out the
    bottom, when there is a removablee trans x-member. Of course, *all*
    trans x-members are *technically* removable.

    If you had two people using the "2x4 technique," you could use the 2x4
    to carry the gearbox out of the car once it's above the frame.

    I've heard alot of people say you have to jack the car up really high
    to lower the trans out but it just isn't true. In my case we did have
    to remove the red lever to clear the frame. Big deal. I think that is a
    1 bolt job. And it's a well oiled and easily accesible bolt, unlike the
    12 or 14 rusty little buggers holding the seatbox in. Of course you can
    only undo those after you remove the seat frmaes, so add four to that
    number. As for the four bolts holding the removablee x member in place,
    well, they do have a little zinc on em. But zinc is soft, and they
    should (did in my case) come straight out.

    Reinstalling the x-member required judicious use of a rubber mallet.
    big deal.

    =====
    They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier.

    David Foster Wallace