Re: LRO: Transmission Removal

From: DaveB (rovergawd@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 12:31:34 EDT

    --- Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus <Alan_Richer@Lotus.com> wrote:
    > Secondly, if your Marsland is like all the others i've seen it was
    > likely
    > galvanized with the crossmember in place. Good luck getting it
    > out....<grin>.

    I've done it both ways. With the removable x/member, you can slide the
    complete unit out from under the truck *WITHOUT LIFTING THE TRUCK AT
    ALL* just by taking the extra step of removing the red-knobbed hi-lo
    lever. That is if you are doing the job on a hard surface.

    IMO, it is much easier tyo do this than fighting with the seatbox. I
    would very much like to never have to remove a series seatbox ever
    again in mylife. But I know that will never be the case. The remvoable
    trans x-member was likely, as Chairman Al Richer noted, galvainzed in
    place. But we had no problem removing the bolts on the one I did. You
    do need to lever the x-member out with a crowbar or somesuch and you
    will need to support the trans assembly. A regular large size floor
    jack works fine, since the x member isn't there, you have a little more
    room to position it. Basically you save yourself the hassle of getting
    the seatbox out, and also the need for an enginee crane. You will need
    a 2 x4 and a come-along to reinstall the gearbox though.

    I don't know why anyone would bother to do the seatbox removal dance
    when they have a perfectly good removable trans x-member. What a
    phenomenal waste of time and effort.

    > it's a lot easier to do (and can be done standing up) than the
    > bottom-drop
    > method for those not lift equipped.

    Bollocks! You don't need a lift at all. Without a crane, how do you get
    the trans out the door of the truck when you come out the top?

    Dave

    =====
    They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier.

    David Foster Wallace