LRO: Solex Vacuum Advance/Retard

From: Paul Quin (pquin@home.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 11:42:38 EDT

    Yesterday I overhauled my Solex with new jets and gaskets all around. The
    performance is much better now. Not really any more power, just much
    smoother and quieter (the whistle is almost gone...) and a better idle.

    When I got the SII, the vacuum advance (retard?) port on the carb was
    blocked off. I've got the neccessary ( I think ) bits to plumb it back in
    to the distributor now. I ordered a copper pipe from RN last year. It
    threads into the Solex fine but at the other end is a threaded fitting while
    on the distributor the fitting looks like it wants to mate up to a rubber
    vacuum line. Should I cut off the threaded fitting on the pipe and clamp on
    a rubber vacuum hose from it to the distributor?

    Also, should the carb end of the pipe (with the olive) be flaired once the
    olive and nut are on it?

    TIA

    Paul Quin
    1961 SII 88