Re: LRO: Solex Vacuum Advance/Retard

From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus (Alan_Richer@Lotus.com)
Date: Wed May 23 2001 - 12:00:31 EDT

    >When I got the SII, the vacuum advance (retard?) port on the carb was
    >blocked off. I've got the neccessary ( I think ) bits to plumb it back
    in
    >to the distributor now. I ordered a copper pipe from RN last year. It
    >threads into the Solex fine but at the other end is a threaded fitting
    while
    >on the distributor the fitting looks like it wants to mate up to a rubber
    >vacuum line. Should I cut off the threaded fitting on the pipe and clamp
    on
    >a rubber vacuum hose from it to the distributor?

    The distributor you have is not original to the vehicle - it's a later 25D4
    from likely a Zenith-equipped vehicle. When they went away from the Solex
    they changed to a rubber line for this, hence your tube

    Were I you I'd simply use a short bit of rubber vacuum line to mate the two
    - it will work fine.

    What I did on Mister C. when I wen to the SOlex was to use the end of the
    line with the fitting and olive as a stub and attached a rubber vacuum line
    there - and then ran the line down to the distributor in rubber rather than
    copper.

    >Also, should the carb end of the pipe (with the olive) be flaired once the
    >olive and nut are on it?

    No, the olive will compress and hold the line when you install it (think
    compression pipe fitting).

                   ajr
    TIA