RE: LRO: Transmission Removal

From: Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus (Alan_Richer@Lotus.com)
Date: Mon May 21 2001 - 14:26:17 EDT

    ACK!

    Nasty place for a leak.

    Were I you, I'd get the verdammt thing apart on a bench and deal with the
    thread issues first and foremost. Helicoils applied here would definitely
    do the trick - and that may in and of itself solve the problem. Of course,
    a good coat of Hylomar with the gasket on the mating surfaces wouldn't hurt
    things either!

    The bottom of the transfer case is the same thing - just needs to have the
    surfaces scraped and the gasket replaced.

    One thing you'l likely need to do is straighten the cover over the bottom
    of the transfer case - some gorilla likely overtightened the bolts and bent
    the mating surfaces. A bit of hammer work on a flat metal bar likely
    wouldn't go amiss here - get the mating surface as flat as possible
    otherwise all the paper gaskets in the world wouldn't seal here.

    Other than that, just common sense and a lot of Hylomar is likely your best
    recourse...<grin>

    Don't forget to make yourself a set of guide pins to put the tranny back in
    on - it makes life a lot easier.

                             Alan