LRO: for the solex guru's

From: mstockdale@mho.net
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 10:35:08 EDT

    On the drive home last night I started thinking about the Solex carb. that I
    took off about 8 years ago. So when I got home I pulled it off the shelf along
    with my box of spare solex parts and took a look at what it would take to
    rebuild it. I came apart easily and the gaskets look ok, I cleaned it all up
    and its now laying in many pieces across the kitchen table. My spare parts are
    the remainders of 2 other old solex’s that I collected over the years. I have
    enough pieces and parts to almost build 2 complete carbs, so here is the rub.
    Does anyone have any junk solex’s laying around that they would be willing to
    part out cheap (see free)? From what it looks like I need an emulsion tube,
    the linkage flange that holds the idle adjustment screw, and the small jet that
    screws into the top of the main carb. body. This appears to be a jet but
    could be something entirely different. It looks like a small brass grub screw
    about ¼” dia that has a pin hole in the end. I have multiple sets of jets,
    floats and other items. Another thing I noticed was that my original solex had
    what looked like an overflow tube from the float chamber to the venturi. The
    other solex top piece I have does not have this feature. No tube exists and it
    is not even drilled for the tube. Any idea out there as to which one is
    better? I’ll have to look back through my old e-mails and find the info that
    jim allen wrote about the performance of the solex vs the weber at high
    altitude. I am hoping to be able to put together a good working solex that
    will give a little more power.

    E-mail me off list if any one is willing to part out an old junker they have
    laying around.

    Hurricane Mitch

    This message was sent using MHO WebMail.
    http://www.mho.net