Re: LRO: 109 Chassis

From: DaveB (rovergawd@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 09:12:39 EDT

    --- Rich & Lori Williams <paddlers@nwlink.com> wrote:
    > Can someone tell me if there is any difference between the chassis of
    > a 109
    > station wagon and that of a 109 pick-up?

    having built a p/u on a SW chassis, I can say with some certainty that
    it depends on the year and model of the truck.

    SIII p/u's usually have the rear fill. You can have a front tank in a
    SW but you can't have the exterior fill.

    There are some variations on the second to rear x-member, apparently
    some of the P/U types need to modified to fit a rear tank.
    SW chassis have two extra mounting tabs, one on each front of rear
    spring outrigger.

    SW chasis probably will not have the front of front fuel tank
    outrigger(s)

    SW chassis have 4 mounting tabs that are about 4 inches fwd of where
    they need to be to mount the front of the p/u rear bed.

    P/U chasiss have 5 or 6 rear body floor support brackets all at the
    same height. on a SW the front two are lower. one should change them
    over if doing a conversion. however it is not as simple as raising or
    lowering them, as they are in the wrong place front to back as well.
    I did not do this since I kind of wanted to make it easy to turn it
    back into a SW. I think the body rigidity suffers for it. lots of
    creaking on popping (much more than usual, sounds like the doors
    hitting the roof sides over bumps)

    SW chassis have a vertical thing on the outside of the frame rail right
    near the front of the rear spring. I think this supports part of the
    rear bed. probably not there on a PU chassis.

    the exhaust is generally routed different on a SW as well. through the
    frame on most pu's, (although this may apply more to later versions)
    and under the frame on most SW's.

    that's all I can think of at the moment.

    =====
    They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier.

    David Foster Wallace