LRO: RE: Stalling/Rough idling SIII and . . .

From: Tackley, John (jtackley@dit.state.va.us)
Date: Wed May 16 2001 - 09:32:33 EDT

    Kurt,

    Before you panic and 'spring' for new parabolics, obtain some Graphite spray
    lubricant. If unable to find a large can, it is available from hardware
    stores and locksmiths in small cans ('LockEase' or some-such brand).
    Spray it quite liberally between the leaves (using the little plastic tube
    taped to the side of the can)of all 4 springs and then drive for a few days.
    You should observe increased spring travel and a smoother ride. This
    process provides dry lubrication ( important, as any 'wet' lubrication
    attracts dust & dirt which causes rapid spring wear)and alleviates any
    inter-leaf stress that builds up from dirt and rust between the individual
    spring leaves.
    After a few days check to see if the truck is still leaning. If so it is an
    indication of either worn or tired springs. At 17.5k miles, I doubt they
    are worn but may be tired ("tired" indicates a need for re-arching otherwise
    good condition spring leaves.)
    Now you have to compare the relative costs of re-arching vs. replacing the
    offending axle pairs of springs (always replace springs in axle sets...like
    brake shoes and shocks). Sometimes you can get away with exchanging springs
    from side to side (but I wouldn't bother with this approach...too much work
    and little chance it will last if it does help). Other LROs have reported
    good results by dismantling each spring and inserting a teflon impregnated
    strip of material between the leaves, which serves the same purpose as the
    graphite. Personally, I find the occasional application of graphite spray a
    much less labor intensive solution compared to the teflon fix.

    Oh yeah,...BTW, all Land Rovers lean a bit. :>)

    JT/ric