LRO: Re: Oil in carb

From: Paul Quin (pquin@home.com)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 00:51:31 EDT

    Excess oil blowing out of the valve cover vent is usually a sign of a worn engine. Enough gasses are squeezing down past the piston rings and up the valve guides during the power stroke to build up pressure inside the crank case and up top inside the rocker cover. When the engine is running, the inside of these chambers is a bit like the inside of a dish washer except it's oil flying around, not water... so when all those leaked combustion gasses come blowing out the vents, they bring with them quite a bit of oil. Mind you, being a Land Rover, the engine could probably run on happily like this for years to come! Maybe you could rout the hose (which is there to allow these unburned gasses to be sucked back into the engine and burnt) over to your oil filler pipe and thus back into the sump...

    The oil inside of the air filter is a bit messy, my buddy has a Webber similar to yours and his air filter was always sopping wet - until he put in a new engine last year...

    Paul in Victoria.