LRO: RE: Re: RE: Re: ser3 importers? skytop? Others?

From: Lee Jones (leejones6@home.com)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 12:01:55 EDT

    Hi Pete!

    I AM NOT starting a war - only telling you of my experience. I got my 109
    from Skytop and since I live about an hour from him I got to look it over
    pretty good. At the time I didn't know much about series trucks but knew
    enough to look for rust on the frame and bulkhead.

    In my case I went to look at an 88 that he had and when I saw it I passes
    but just for the hell of it drove the 109. The truck is a FFR so I knew
    going in that it had a lot more hours on the engine than the 8000+ miles
    indicated AND I knew that I would have to put hardened seats in the head.

    The frame was perfect and the bulkhead had two pin holes on the upper
    outside corners which was easily and cheaply fixed. I now have all the
    parts needed to do a valve job and that is my next project. Honestly, I am
    very hopeful that the bottom end is OK but as the compression on 3 of the
    cylinders is great - the forth is due to a burnt valve - I suspect that the
    block and bores are fine - however I don't really know yet.

    I have had a problem with the charging system and Gabor has promised to get
    me replacement generator equipment. - So this is the only "surprise" - not a
    LOT on a 25 year old vehicle!

    Would I do it again - honestly probably not as recently I have gotten pretty
    good contacts in England and will make my next project a kit car from over
    there in a year or two.

    I have bought several used cars/trucks in the USA that I have had a LOT more
    problems with (from dealers and private parties) so I therefore think that I
    got a pretty good deal from Gabor. I have never bought a car over the phone
    or by mail from another part of the country so I can't address that issue -
    I will always either want to see the vehicle myself first OR trust a GOOD
    knowledgeable friend to check it out for me first....

    Lee