LRO: Re: RE: Re: ser3 importers? skytop? Others?

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Sat May 05 2001 - 23:37:17 EDT

    > You are right! BUT you forgot to add the thousand (airfare, hotel, food,
    > car rental, etc.) to go to England to find the truck you want and the cost
    > of finding the right "trustworthy" dealer to use to get the truck in the
    > first place.
    >
    > I guess if you travel all over and know the import/export rules in each
    > country AND have the time and contacts to do it yourself - you CAN save
    the
    > odd thousand!

    So dealers in the US are trustworthy? Believe that's why the question was
    asked, to see what people thought about this particular dealer. Unless
    someone lives in the same area of the country, how is this any different?
    Skytop ships their rovers all over the country as to many of the other
    ex-Mod importers. True, traveling to a US dealer and hand picking a vehicle
    will be cheeper then flying to the UK, but then this amount needs to be
    added to the cost. But if you are making the purchase through phone and
    mail, if you are going to trust a US dealer, then why not deal directly with
    the source? There are a number of places in England that will handle
    everything for getting the vehicle to arrive at the docks in the US. Then,
    however you plan on getting the Rover from PA, use the same method to get it
    from Baltimore.
    Not saying this method is the easiest, but it is straight forward, and I am
    talking about saving 3-4k. ST is selling military surplus vehicles that I
    just don't see being worth the 7-8k listed, so I offered another option.
    I have had great experiances dealing with a couple of parts suppliers in the
    UK, both new and used. True not a vehicle, but I have been ripped off
    getting used parts in the US, and sometimes from one of the big names in the
    US, no such problems from the UK yet.
    Pete