Re: LRO: skytop? Or Any Dealer For That Matter

From: HeirPhoto@aol.com
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 09:27:11 EDT

    In a message dated 5/6/01 8:40:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time, car4doc@core.com
    writes:

    > I made the mistake &

    Rob,
    As I said I never bought one of theirs but did talk to the fellow and looked
    at a few there. Did you go in person to see it or rely on info provided?

    I was searching for some time and after replying to many LRX ads decided most
    "rust free" Rovers were far from it. I would ask detailed questions from
    private sellers about the frame and bulkhead either to be told "I never
    really looked" (yeah right) or it is fine. Once the pictures arrive the story
    is much different. Is there really an owner out there that does not know
    whether he has a rusty frame? I know I worried about mine rusting constantly
    and always kept an eye on it to look for signs something was starting even
    though mine was out of California and fine. Insist of frame and bulkhead
    pictures. We are dealing with items costing thousands of dollars here, the
    seller can get a throw away camera, snap the pics and send it off to you if
    he really wants to sell.

    When I sold two of my Rovers I made such a detailed list of minor problems
    for the sake of honesty I was sure I would scare off any potential buyers
    after reading my ads. And this was on two trucks that were substantially
    better than anything I have looked at since even at much higher asking
    prices. Very few ads I see lately imply any problems at all.

    My point I guess is that if you don't go and see it in person you are taking
    a major risk. Even in person ask endless questions and listen hard at the
    answers. Let the seller keep talking and inconsistencies may start to turn up
    in what he says. Take nothing for granted, try it, drive it, shift it
    yourself. Many vehicles are not what they first seem, particularly if
    imported to the US from the UK. Sellers will change documents and sometimes
    misrepresent the vehicle.

    I would still stick with a purchase from a "dealer/importer" over a private
    individual myself simply because you have more recourse if something goes
    wrong. I would insist on buying a vehicle already registered in the US if
    possible. Heading off to your motor vehicle department with a batch of import
    documents, a V5 and bill of sale from the UK owner that the seller gave you
    and can't verify is risky. Sometimes they do check and you are left holding
    the bag. I have dealt with a dealer like this and know of several more all
    here on the East coast.

    Be careful what you buy and be prepared to walk away from any deal that does
    not sound right.

    Best,
    Tony Miller
     ANTHONY D. MILLER & Co.