Re: LRO: LMA vs. DOT 4

From: David Scheidt (dscheidt@tumbolia.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 18:06:28 EDT

    On Fri, 4 May 2001, TeriAnn Wakeman wrote:

    :>I ordered brake fluid from RN since I couldn't find LMA around here
    :>(Hastings, MN- any ideas where there is some?)
    :>They sent "Lucas DOT 4". Is this compatable with my 41 yr old single chanel
    :>system?
    :
    :Your brake system will be happy with any brake fluid that is rated DOT4.
    :Most auto parts store carries at least one brand of DOT4 fluid.

    You want to tell that to the seals in my 88 that failed using generic
    DOT 4 fluid? I'm not talking about just a couple but ever single one
    -- all but one wheel cylinder, the brake master, the clutch master, the
    clutch slave. It's not a case of failure due to old age -- the seals
    simply disolved. the wheel cylinder that survived had been rebuilt using
    neoprene seals from a random auto parts place. Lucas/Girling were still
    using natural rubber in their stuff as of a couple years ago.

    DOT 4 has absolutely nothing to do with compatability with seal compounds.
    It's a boiling point spec.

    --
    dscheidt@tumbolia.com
    Bipedalism is only a fad.