Re: LRO: Re: tyres (tires) and sizes

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri May 04 2001 - 14:53:37 EDT

    Why'd ya pump your tires all the way up to 20psi. I normally run 25#s in
    mine just to keep me from bouncing off the roof and have gone lower out of
    inatention and/or comfort, at times. The big problem with running non
    tubeless rims is in the case of a puncture as the tire could separate from
    the rim when the pressure got low enough. That could turn a dicey situation
    into an interesting ride for the average driver. I've blown a rear tire at
    over a 100mph and it gets your attention.

    When I said low pressure, I meant LOOOW pressure like 10psi. At 20 psi it
    would take a whole lot of deformation of the tire to get the bead to pop
    loose. The guy that rolled the tire off his non tubeless rims with normal
    pressure had one of those decambered, lowered, wide tired, wide rimmed set
    ups that could probably generate 1G cornering loads. A whole lot of force
    on that tire as he had the car loaded with four guys and was trying to do
    donuts in a parking lot.

    I wouldn't be overly worried running non tubeless rims, just be aware that
    low tire pressure/slow leaks/etc. could make things dicey. I'm just amazed
    that the tire shops are worried about the width of the rims or putting tubes
    in, not the fact that they are non tubeless rims. Seems there is a whole
    lot more liability if the typical ambulance chaser got hold of that than the
    size question.

    Aloha
    Peter