Re: LRO: Tiresidewalls

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 14:08:24 EDT

    Just talken radials here.
    BFG ATs and MTs are built with a 3 ply side. Other manufactures only place
    2 in the sidewall.
    Firestone has never had much of an MT radial pattern, 23deg is the closest
    thing currently. The ATX is a pretty good AT tread(not talking recent
    issues), but have seen them wear out around 40k.
    Bridgestone Duelers are nice. Haven't had a chance to try out there AT.
    Had a set of MT's on a Yeep that did pretty well. No milage data for them
    however.
    Uniroyal has a good MT. Their AT (the AWT) is pretty whimpy off road. The
    MT does pretty good, Probably my 3rd favorite non-gumbo type MT tread. Have
    had customers get 50-60k on Uniroyals.
    Michelin makes some great tires. Have seen their AT tire on full size
    pickups go 80k, but again not very agressive.
    Goodyear makes my second favorite MT. Just too damn much money LOL.
    Unfortunately only experiance with these is with the HMMV and a Ford 350.
    Friend got a set of HMMV sized tires and put em on her truck 4 years ago.
    She has put about 40k on em, on a working cattle ranch, and longdistance
    hauling of a 2 or 4 horse trailer with out problem.
    I think that gumbos, swampers, tsls, and some of the biasply agri tires are
    in a different league. Great off road, but not suc good on road behavior.
    Also not that many stories of having gotten that many miles on em.
    I love BFG's. Have seen 60-70k out of ATs and MTs alike. I only have about
    5-10 miles of Lava rock driving on them so no idea if the stouter sidewalls
    will benifit that or not.

    Well, I have been out of the tire game for about 5 years now, but thats my
    POV :-)
    Pete