RE: LRO: Tires

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu May 03 2001 - 23:20:16 EDT

    The difference between a true offroad tire and a dual purpose tire is the
    plies and design of the sidewall. The MT types usually have a reinforced
    sidewall to resist all but artillery getting through. Surface cuts and
    abrasions are typically handled by most any tire. Its the lurking lance or
    super sharp rock that the offroad tires are designed to resist. Any tire
    driven with bulging sidewalls will pick up cuts, its how deep a cut holes it
    that is important.

    Personally, I've driven a tree branch through and cut the sidewalls on a
    rock badly enough to lose air pressure. Both of these punctures were with
    old style bias ply, M&S tires which were supposed to have way stout
    sidewalls. I've been driving on a non off road sidewalled, MT tred, radial
    tire for the last 5 years without any problems, however. They look like
    sh*t with all the nicks and bruises but haven't been holed despite my best
    efforts.

    Off to pick up my 235/85/16 TracEdges from Costco. $112 each including
    freight to Kona. Should be cheaper in the real world. Too bad Costco can't
    get 7.50/16's.

    Aloha
    Peter Ogilvie
    Kona Coffee Rover
    1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
         from exposure of the dark side.
    1966 109 pickup 'slime' In my garage since '90, finally running.
    1965 88 parts car, slowly sinking into the lava.
    196? 88 hard top, possibly 'phoenix' if it rises, it will
         certainly be from ashes or at least a pile of rust