LRO: Axles

From: Jean-Leon Morin (offroaddesign@softhome.net)
Date: Thu Apr 26 2001 - 15:56:15 EDT

    As some of you may know, I have been looking into the possibility of
    changing over to late model Dana axles, modified to fit the series rover's
    width. I just got a bit of bad news as narrowing the axleshafts costs a lot
    when you are dealing with such an imposing axleshaft.

    I am reconsidering the whole idea in a big way. This e mail is primarily
    addressed to Lonn, and TeriAnn, but others always seem to have interesting
    insights and ideas, so that's why I am mass-mailing it.

    Most conversions I have heard of are running a salisbury differential in the
    rear. This appears to be a very tough diff, perfectly capable of handling a
    stout V8 or, in my case, a large 6 cylinder. This is common knowledge. If I
    do stick with rover axles, I'll be going to a salisbury at the rear, and a
    rover at the front.

    What I'm worried about is the front diff. How is this end of the equation
    holding up? Lonn and TeriAnn are using bone stock front axles,and I haven't
    heard of any breakages... yet.

    TeriAnn, you even have a Quaife (sp?) diff lock in the front, and, the
    stocker axleshafts are holding up nicely, considering that you have quite a
    bit of weight in the Green Rover, and power to boot. Lonn has a lot of
    power, and a whole lot of tire to spin, but yet seems to have evaded
    breakages.

    Well, here goes. Is it safe to assume that the front axleshafts are capable
    of handling a fair amount of abuse? I realise the rear ones are put to the
    test in daily driving, and the front see limited strain IE only off-road,
    but it seems that they are OK for pretty hard off-road use. As far as I can
    tell, Timm Cooper's rock crawling rig has a stock rover axle (except for
    brakes) up front, and I can pretty much bet that Mr 5+ howler monkey would
    have a front salisbury under there if it was needed.

    I've heard of broken half shafts up front, but they seem to be a little less
    common than rear axleshaft breakage. Maybe the front carnage can be
    attributed to ? years of hard use, and simply failed. Opinions on this?

    Lonn, how is the turning radius with your new wheels and tires? Better or
    worse than the old tire/wheel combination?

    Lots of questions, sorry everyone.

    Jean-Leon Morin
    AKA "Dr. Detroit"

    Valdez - 1966 IIA 109 freak