LRO: Webber conversion

From: William L Leacock (roverbilly@juno.com)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 17:34:43 EDT

    Recently I purchased and installed a single choke webber carb. The carb
    came as a kit, with no instructions.
    When fitting the carrb I came accross a few minor irritants. First, there
    is'nt a linkage ball end on the operating lever, so I fitted the one from
    my Zenith. Unfortunately the stud fouled the carb, preventing proper
    operation, so I had to saw off some of the thread and then crank the arm
    slightlly to operate properly. When I started the engine there was a
    significant induction hiss, indicating an air leak. Upon removal of te
    carb I discovered that the adaptor plate provided to adapt the Zenith
    fixing to the Webber was not flat, so a fair amount of filing/grinding
    was necessary to achieve a flat face. What started out as a 30 min job
    finished up as a 90 minute job. Not sure if it was wotrth the troube
    and expense, starting cold seems improved, gas mileage will be wait and
    see, power, no perceptable change.

    Regards from Western New York State

      Bill Leacock.