LRO: RE: Range Rover Inquiry

From: Scott Wickham Jr. (urbncby@sgi.net)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 19:06:11 EDT

    3) Are there particular model years that are substantially problematic or
    troublesome? When do they become so complex that you basically need to go
    to the dealer for service?

       Leaky steering boxes too, I didn't see that in any other replys. I have
    a gray market RR but the girlfriend has an '89. Pretty reliable truck with
    some small things not working. Cruise control, A/C, the leaking steering
    box, needs a hub seal, speedo reads about 30 mph's too fast, that's about
    all. She hauls a horse box with sometimes, plenty of power for that too.
    She's taken it off road once I know of, with me in the lead. Take that air
    dam off the front and toss it.

    11) What’s it usually take to make a stock RR a decent off road truck? Are
    they good to go as is or do people have to go to great lengths with various
    modifications. And I am talking cost here basically.

      I put OME 2" kit on Lucy and some under carrage protection and she works
    good. I still prefer my SIII 88" for real woods work. In fact I've put
    Lucy more back to stock last week because I kept breaking things on her when
    I get into the woods. I'm not beating her, honest. Blew a rear diff and
    last week tore a brake line off at the caliper, dam vines!

    Scott C. Wickham Jr.
    Pgh. Pa.
    '72 88" (secretly disguised as a IIa)
    '84 Range Rover