LRO: Re: Range Rover Inquiry

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Wed Apr 25 2001 - 17:26:59 EDT

    Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 11:33:00 -0700
    From: "Rich Williams II" <richw@nwlink.com>
    Subject: LRO: Range Rover Inquiry

    >Here are the questions I have regarding Range Rovers.
    1) Besides lrx.com are there any other good web resources for finding =
    rovers for sale?

    Dont' know.

    >2) Any good web resources for finding good information on the various =
    Range Rover model years, etc.?

    I suppose you could subscribe to the Range Rover equivelent of this list.

    >3) Are there particular model years that are substantially problematic =
    or troublesome? When do they become so complex that you basically need =
    to go to the dealer for service?

    US-spec Range Rovers require dealer servicing for a lot of stuff unless you are a
    REALLY well equipped mechanic. As soon as you get into air conditioning problems,
    engine control computer problems, ABS computer problems, etc., you're probably
    talking dealer unless you have the equipment and know-how to troubleshoot electro-
    mechanical systems like these.

    >4) What kind of problems specific to RRs do I want to look out for when =
    looking at these?

    A lot of thing fail in the vicinity of the 100,000 mile mark. Radiators, water
    pumps, steering pumps and boxes, and suspension bushings you can
    pretty much count on to give up the ghost at this time, depending on how
    the vehicle has been driven. Electrical items like central door locking,
    seat and window relays, and ABS can be troublesome at any time.

    >5) What different motor variations available? I have seen the 3.5L and =
    the 3.9L engines but are there others that I should seek out or stay =
    away from? Any pros or cons with the 3.5 of the 3.9?

    Under no circumstances (unless you like throwing money away) buy
    a Range Rover 4.2 LWB. The engine is a failure waiting to happen. I won't
    go into details here, but suffice it to say enlarging the displacement
    from 3.9 to 4.2 (actually done by TVR) was a good idea that didn't work in the
    case of the Range Rover. The block flexes under load, and blows head
    gaskets and develops oil leaks. This engine is why they developed the 4.0/4.6
    variant for the new model Range Rover. Also, the 1st generation air suspension
    on the 4.2 LWB is the system Rover used to learn how NOT to make an air suspension.
    Bad vehicle all around except for the extra eight inches of rear seat legroom- avoid it like
    the plague.

    6) What tranny do most prefer as far as auto vs. manual? Which one =
    seems more durable? How capable is the auto tranny off-road? How are =
    the manual trannys configured - 4 speed w/ OD or just 5 speed?

    If you're in the US, you have no choice, as the only Range Rovers imported have
    automatics. It is a very good transmission, built by ZF, and is a derivative of the
    automatic transmission used in BMWs and Mercedes. If you import a Range Rover
    from the UK or wherever that's over 25 years old, you can get one with a manual
    transmission. But unlike the Discoveries brought into the US, all the Range Rovers
    imported are automatics. If you're outside the US, Rover used a 3-speed Chrysler
    automatic for awhile. Despite the transmission's good reputation in the US, I have
    read nothing but Bad Things about that transmission as used in the Range Rover.
    Quite trouble-prone, apparently, although it shouldn't be. The manuals are good,
    except those built in the early 90s. There were bad quality problems at the supplier,
    and as a consequence, Range Rovers, Discoveries, and Defenders built with manual
    transmissions during that time have a high rate of failures. The good news is that
    most of these vehicles will have had their failed transmissions replaced by now, usually
    under warranty.

    >7) What's the real difference between the LWB and SWB models in terms of =
    real space?

    Besides the LWB being total crap mechanically, the difference is eight inches of
    legroom in the rear seat. The front seat and bed areas are the same. The extra
    eight inches is very nice, but not worth the potential expenses lurking in the engine
    and suspension.

    >8) Is a RR just a RR or are there different model sub-variants besides =
    LWB and SWB versions?=20

    All "classic" Range Rovers are the same in terms of frame, body, etc. The LWB
    has more legroom in the rear seat via a stretched frame and wheelbase. It also
    has the first generation air suspension, which like the 4.2 engine, is a repair bill waiting
    to be paid. The classic coil spring Range Rover's basic chassis was used as the platform
    for the Discovery. There was a "stripped down" Range Rover imported to the US in 1991
    called the Hunter. While the chassis, drive train, and engine are identical to the standard
    and County models, the Hunter does not have anti sway bars, a front spoiler with fog lights,
    a sunroof, or power leather seats. The interior trim is more sparse than the regular
    model. This was an attempt by the importer to create a more affordable Range Rover
    (the Hunter had a sticker price of $38,000 while the standar model had a sticker price
    of $44,900. The Hunter proved not very popular with US buyers, and this version was
    soon dropped, leaving only the standard and County models. They differ only in trim and
    interior appointments. A Hunter can be identified from the back by the stylized horse and
    rider logo at the lower right corner of the tailgate.

    >9) What else should I know before seriously looking at one to buy?

    The US-spec version MUST use premium fuel unless you want to change the
    valve timing and other things. It gets 13 mpg in town, maybe 18mph on the highway
    unless you have a really strong tailwind. Parts are VERY expensive, unless you order
    them from the UK, in which case the parts prices are reasonable but the shipping will
    more than make up for it (been there, done that many times). Dealer labor charges are
    close to $100 an hour now. Some parts price examples- radiator- $700, ABS computer,
    $1,500, brake caliper rebuild/replacement (one axle only)- $1,000 minimum, fan viscous
    clutch- $400, dealer "tune up," $600 assuming they find nothing wrong.

    >10) I have seen several on lrx.com that are listed at $5-8K with =
    150-200K miles on them. At what point do these things get to be as much =
    "trouble" as a Series truck.

    They can be as much "trouble" as a Series from the day they leave the factory. Or
    they can go for a couple of hundred thousand miles very reliably. The build/mechanical
    quality is very spotty. There are great ones and there are dogs. I personally would never
    buy a used Range Rover in the US, as there are too many ways the previous
    owner can screw it up. It MUST have the oil and filter changed every 3,000 miles regardless
    of what the manual and dealer say. This is because the hydraulic lifters in the Rover V-8
    are very susceptible to dirt, and if they start to stick, they quickly pound the cam lobe flat.
    Big bucks repair bill. The aluminum engine MUST have the correct grade of coolant in it, and
    it MUST be in good condition, which means an annual change at least. The engine MUST
    be fed only premium fuel. Many US Range Rover owners in the US do not give them this
    kind of attention.

    >11) What's it usually take to make a stock RR a decent off road truck?

    Lots and lots of money :-) Actually, I've found the stock coil spring Range Rover
    to be very, very good off-road as it is. I use it for moose hunting in BC and for
    towing a 3,000 poound boat hundreds of miles on dirt roads in BC and on Vancouver Island. The
    only real detriment is the rear overhang. The front spoiler is easily removed, and in fact
    the owners manual has the instructions for doing so. The Range Rover can be fitted with
    an ARB air locker on the differential- one on the rear should suffice for dealing with almost
    any bad mud or whatever situation you might come across. Bear in mind that if not used
    intelligently, a locking differential can ruin your driveline in short order.

    I was very leery of using an automatic off road, as I was used to the manual in my SIII, but
    after 10 years now, I've found the automatic actually has some advantages. So I'm no longer
    an advocate of manual-only in off-road driving. Both have their advantages and disadvantages;
    it's much more a matter of the driver knowing how to use what he has effectively than which
    type of tranmission is the best.

    There have been reports that the viscous clutch (used in place of the lock on the center differential)
    can fail or cease working temporarily under continuous, high-stress off-roading that overheats
    the clutch fluid and components. But I suspect that if this is the kind of off-road work you want
    to do, a Range Rover is not your best choice anyway.

    In my opinion, the best years for US-spec Range Rovers are 91 and 92. The 4.2 LWB was
    introduced in '93, and that was the end of Range Rover as a viable on-off road vehicle as far
    as I'm concerned. The 4.2 LWB is just plain crap, and the new model, while fabulous from
    a technical point of view, is getting awfully fancy for anyone but the extremely wealthy to consider
    beating up on the trail.

    We've been very happy with our '91 Vogue SE. It has 118,000 miles on it, and the things that
    are supposed to give out at 100,000 miles have done so, or are doing so. But it's been quite
    reliable. However, it's had only one owner, and we've taken care of every problem as it's arisen,
    and have kept the oil clean and the coolant fresh. We drive it pretty conservatively, shifting
    into a lower gear range when climbing hills, for example, to keep the transmission from hunting
    back and forth. We also shift down manually when towing the boat up a hill. I think we've used the
    kick-down feature of the transmission twice in ten years. So we've been pretty easy on it, even
    when we take if off-road or into "working" mode.

    Including warranty problems, we've had:
    a leaking hub seal, failed air condtioner fans, leaking brake caliper seal, bad fan belts, failed
    cruise control, failed wiper motor relay, failed window switch, failed ABS computer, failed
    fan viscous clutch, loose windshield wiper motor, non-functioning tailgate lock, failed seat
    adjustment switch, cracked road wheel, failed trailing arm bushings. With the exception
    of the ABS computer, all the items listed were either warranty items within the first year of
    ownership, or problems my wife and I fixed ourselves.

    We are not at all sorry we bought the vehicle, but when we were contemplating trading up to
    a new model Range Rover the other year, we decided we preferred the styling and relative
    simplicity of the coil spring model we have now, so we elected to keep our '91. But I would
    caution anyone contemplating buying any Range Rover to be aware of the potential cost
    of ownership, because it can be amazingly high. The purchase price may be the least of
    your expenses in the long run.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88