LRO: Re: cutting off bolts

From: Tim Czajka (timczajka@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 14:00:39 EDT

    Simon wrote:
    >Is a cutoff wheel significantly better than a normal metal grinding wheel
    >speedwise?

    Yes - the cutoff wheel is faster and better at cutting than
    the grinding wheel. The cutoff wheel is much slimmer. There
    are four and a half inch cutting wheels that will fit your
    grinder. No need to buy another tool.

    You will probably need an adapter to fix the cutoff
    wheel to the grinder - or you can make one with some big
    washers. Basically you just need a method to sufficiently
    clamp the cutoff wheel to the grinder since most cutoff
    wheels don't have threads like the grinding wheels.

    I don't know how I lived before my Sears grinder. The
    rpm is up over 10 thousand and cuts through metal like
    butter or grinds when needed. Much better than a
    reciprocating saw for most things in my opinion.

    Tim Czajka
    1972 Series III 88