Re: LRO: re: EMD locos **no rover content ***

From: Ivan Van Laningham (ivanlan@pauahtun.org)
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 13:49:19 EDT

    Hi All--

    Alan Richer/CAM/Lotus wrote:

    > <put-a-submarine-engine-in-a-landy>-ly y'rs,
    > Ivan;-)
    >
    > Care to explain this? I assume waht you're getting at here is that some
    > Fairbanks-Morse Deisel locos used old WWII sub engines?

    Um, no. <g> FM was founded in 1893, and the opposed-piston engine was
    designed in the 1930s. Subs used FM opposed-piston engines:

            http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/opmar.html

    but mostly as auxiliary generators.

    In the fifties, someone at FM noticed that these OP engines
    (http://www.fairbanksmorse.com/op818.html) would make dynamite
    locomotive prime movers. And they did. Low rpm, high HP, torque high
    enough to peel chrome off a trailer hitch;-) and on top of everything
    else, relatively quiet. OP engines have two crankshafts, one at top and
    one at bottom, and two pistons in each cylinder.

    They also sound like no other diesel engines on earth. Cheap good tape
    recorders didn't exist when I got my chance to hear and see some FM
    locos running. Sigh.

    FM is still in business, but they got out of the diesel-electric
    locomotive business in the sixties. RR shops weren't geared up to
    rebuild the engines and didn't want to invest the money for the special
    tools needed, so only a couple of hundred FM diesels were ever sold.
    The Train Master, a 2400-HP unit at a time when most other locos were
    maxed out at 15-1800 HP, is one of the all-time favorites of railfans
    everywhere.

    To find out more about the Train Master, check out

            http://www.nwhs.org/ecomm_prod_snaps/book_tmaster.html

    <you-probably-wouldn't-really-want-a-sub-engine-in-your-landy>-ly y'rs,
    Ivan;-)
    Ivan Van Laningham
    Symantec
    http://www.pauahtun.org