LRO: Re: Powder coating

From: SFmms@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 20 2001 - 03:30:29 EDT

    In a message dated 4/19/01 8:19:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    owner-lro-digest@Works.Team.Net writes:
    C. Marin Faure wrote:

    > BUT..... can a commercial powder coating company match
    > Limestone, or at least come close enough to where I don't
    > care about the difference, and what do you do if a wheel gets
    > whacked hard enough to damage the powder coating? In the
    > opinion of those of you who've had experience with both, is
    > powder coating wheels better than painting them, or visa versa?

    Yes, powder coat companies can get a very close match to Limestone. The
    caveat with using powder coating is that if it gets damaged the spot will
    tend to rust and undermine the surrounding coating. Also if the surface of
    the part is not well prepared the coating will lift off and the same thing
    can happen. The usual surface prep is to sand blast the part to bare metal.
    The coating cannot be repaired because it involves electrostatically adhering
    fine particles of a polymer material (there are several different types) then
    baking the coating onto the part in an oven. If the coating will see
    sunlight a polymer can have an anti-UV additive and in some cases a rust
    resisting underlayer can be applied (for more $). In a nutshell, you end up
    with a plastic coated part with a fairly durable coating that cannot be
    repaired. The only way to hide damage is to fill in with several layers of a
    similar color paint.

    I have had several steel brackets for a canoe rack on top of our '66 SIIa
    done with powder coating matching the limestone top at the vendor my
    aerospace company has used for years. Even they had to redo one piece because
    of peeling. I also noted our military customers prefer painting or anodizing
    to powder coating for applications where they would expect rough conditions
    in the field. So I opted to have the 16" steel wheels painted and will order
    some small quantities of touch up paint for after the tire installation.

    Hope this helps,

    Karen Sindir
    '74 SIII 88 Red Rufy
    '66 SIIa 88 Barbaros