LRO: Powder coating question

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 21:16:44 EDT

    How tough is powder coating? At some point in the
    not-too-distant future I need to have my SIII's wheels
    sandblasted and repainted as a couple of them have some
    surface rust and the paint on all of them is pretty sorry. My
    initial thought was to have all five wheels sandblasted, and
    then I would primer them and paint them with a commercial
    spray color that I've used before that more or less resembles
    Limestone (my entire vehicle and the wheels were Limestone
    from the factory).

    Several years ago, when I was first contemplating doing this,
    a friend of mine in N. California who was in the Land Rover
    parts business but isn't anymore suggested powder coating
    instead of painting. I located an outfit in Tacoma that did
    powder coating, but for various reasons I never got around
    to actually doing anything about it.

    Now that my SIII needs new tires, I thought it might be a
    good opportunity to spruce up the wheels at the same time.
    The advantage of painting them is that it's easy to touch them
    up if the paint gets scratched off. The advantage (so far as
    I know) of powder coating is that it looks better and is maybe
    tougher than paint.

    BUT..... can a commercial powder coating company match
    Limestone, or at least come close enough to where I don't
    care about the difference, and what do you do if a wheel gets
    whacked hard enough to damage the powder coating? In the
    opinion of those of you who've had experience with both, is
    powder coating wheels better than painting them, or visa versa?
    Thanks.
    C. Marin Faure
      (original owner)
      1973 Land Rover Series III-88