RE: LRO: Air Compressors

From: Ben Mitchell (ben@mitchellfamily.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 14:52:02 EDT

    Lots of people have been making a fuss about how bad oilless compressors
    are.

    Now look, they ARE loud, but they also cost a hell of a lot less. I got a
    Craftsman 80Gal "6.5HP" compressor a couple of years ago. Yes, I tend to
    exit the garage when it's operating, but with 80Gals of air, unless I'm
    using the thing constantly I leave the garage more frequently than that
    anyway.

    I drain it every once in a while and there's seldom more than an ounce or so
    of water in it (reasonably dry climate around here).

    It cost about 1/3 of what a comparable oil based compressor would have.

    You can always build a box around the thing and put in some fiberglass
    insulation, and it'll end up at least as quiet as an oilless version (if I
    ever remodel the garage, I'm going to do this).

    Short of it is, oilless isn't that bad. Yes there are better ways to go,
    but don't feel you need to drop $800 to have compressed air. It's a really
    useful addition to the shop, and it can be done on a reasonable budget.

    Best,

    -Ben