Re: LRO: Air Compressors

From: DaveB (rovergawd@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Apr 19 2001 - 15:25:19 EDT

    --- RON WARD <ronward@synovustrust.com> wrote:
    > I'd planned to run 220 out to my garage if necessary. Right now I
    > run a 'frig, and some lights off the residential 110v service from
    > the house. I suppose a compressor, even wimpy, would draw enough on
    > the 110v to throw a breaker inside the house. Is this true?

    Yes, especially when its a wussy-ass (that's the hp range below wimpy,
    btw) oilless type that ends up running all the time, and overheats and
    the piston locks up. BTDT...the 5hp 60 gallon (oily type) campbell
    hausfeld I have now will keep the grinder going. Any non 2 stage
    compressor will run constantly with these kinds of tools. Ratchets and
    the like aren't the air hogs that grinders and sanders are. But the
    oiled pistons have much longer duty cycle than the oilless ones.

    and as for not needing it, al, you are nuts. to each his own, but after
    using the air tools for a while, you don't want to go back. you can
    wrap some foam around the tool's exhaust and it will cut the decible
    level way wya down. just ask the woman that runs the day care center
    next door to my garage...

    dave

    =====
    They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier.

    David Foster Wallace