Re: LRO: Re: Steering "clunk"

From: DaveB (rovergawd@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 13:49:49 EDT

    --- "Faure, Marin" <Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com> wrote:
    > Could be the springs banging back and forth in their shackles. My
    > SIII did this from the day it was new, so I learned to ignore it.

    Hang about there...you say what now? Neither of my series trucks does
    this. Although there is an interesting squeaking sound that apparently
    comes from the rear suspension, but only when the truck is stationary,
    and the occupants are not moving. It is a long drawn out squeak, kind
    of like when the improperly torqued down cap of a 2-liter plastic soda
    bottle is trying to pass a bubble, and you hear it and go "what the
    hell is that?" to yourself, or to whoever else happens to be within
    earshot of said escaping bubble's symphonic release. Then you realize
    there's a 2-liter plastic soda bottle on the table in front of you or
    perhaps somewhere else in the room, or in the next room, and after
    checking in the torque specifications section of the manual ha ha you
    apply the necessary additional rotation to the 2-liter plastic soda
    bottle's previously improperly torqued cap. Which has the immediate and
    oh so final seeming effect of seemingly foiling the bubble's escape,
    although I suspect that it may actually continue escaping, albeit more
    quietly, due its detection by those who would seek to prevent said
    emancipation. If you don't know the sound I'm talking about, then you
    probably don't drink soda out of 2-liter plastic bottles. However, this
    is all very long winded and besides the point, which was, and remains,
    that if your Rover's bushings are banging around in tthe shackles,
    there is something wrong, and just because they've clunked (or banged
    or popped or made any other noises that could remotely be indicative of
    metal to metal contact then non-contact then contact again, etc.) since
    new does not mean that something is not wrong. Can you ignore it and
    not have any long term or expensive or just troublesome problems down
    the road (said road being both figurative as well as literal)? Yes.
    Should you? That is up to you. Would I? What do you care? My parents
    owned a Pontiac Phoenix, which had the same body as a Chevy Citation,
    that they bought new in 1980. It stalled at almost every stoplight, or
    so it seemd to my wandering 11-year-old mind, as my mind's wanderings
    were constantly interrupted by streams of muttered parental anglo-saxon
    at every occurence of the stalling, and the car was in the shop
    repeatedly for weeks on end as the dealer tried to sort out the cause
    of the problem. So just because a problem/symptom/feature exists since
    the date of purchase of the vehicle, it doesn't mean that it doesn't
    demand attention or perhaps even fixing or repairing of some sort.
    Although I suspect the response to this from Marin- should he choose to
    respond to such an inane, unrelated-anectdote-filled and roundabout
    criticism of a seemingly hardly assailable logic, i.e., that of
    ignoring the clunk in the suspension of a Series Land Rover, would be
    that if the Land Rover stalled every time he drove it, he would have
    had them fix it, or fixed it himself, and that my bringing that up as
    an example was a terrible excuse for a parallell, in fact, more like a
    perpendicular, and that seeing as I was only 11 in 1980 which makes me
    only 31 now, that I am young and ignorant or something to that effect.
    Although now I am putting words in the mouth, or on the screen if you
    will, of others which I didn't really set out to do, as much as it may
    have seemed so due the apparent confusion over the central point of
    Marin's message that I seem to have had, which now that I am aware of
    it makes me wonder why I bothered to type this thing in the first
    place, or rather, why I continued to type it after realizing the flawed
    nature of my argument and its related parental-Pontiac anectodte.
    Which, by the way, for those who are curious- and to those I say "Go
    outside and get some fresh air because there is no reason on god's
    green earth that you should care about this,"- the point where I
    relaized the frivolity of my complaint was before I started the very
    pointless- as I have pointed out repeatedly- comparison between one of
    the sounds my Land Rover's suspension makes and the sound of a bubble
    trying to escape from a 2-liter soda bottle. I would be interested to
    hear from other owners who have experienced the same sound, the one
    from the suspension, not the soda bottle. Although if you'd like to
    tlak about the soda bottle sound, or any other sound or really anything
    at all then please feel free to do so. As a matter of fact, if you've
    read this far and haven't wanted to strangle me, I'd really like to
    hear from you. If you do want to strangle me, I assure you it wouldn't
    be worth the airfare to get here. Or the half gallon of gas if you're
    in my area. Or Metro fare. Or the rubber or other material off the
    soles of your (very nice I'm sure) shoes.

    later
    daveb

    =====
    They can kill you, but the legalities of eating you are quite a bit dicier.

    David Foster Wallace