LRO: Re: Steering "clunk"

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 12:33:13 EDT

    Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:07:18 +1200
    From: "Macka" <macka.andy@clear.net.nz>
    Subject: LRO: Re: Steering "clunk"

    >Was driving the SIIA SWB today and noticed it has develoed some sort of
    clunking sound in the steering. It seems to only occur when cornering at
    speed....

    Could be the springs banging back and forth in their shackles. My SIII
    did this from the day it was new, so I learned to ignore it. However, this
    generally occurs at lower speeds while cornering sharply, say turning into
    a parking space. It also gets worse in the rain, as the water splashing up
    onto the springs "lubricates" the bushings and bolts and makes the movement
    easier. This might not be what you're experiencing, but it's a pretty common
    phenomenon. Range Rovers do it too, although it's a different sort of bushing
    that's banging about.

    C. Marin Faure
    Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
    telephone (425)393-7721
    mobile (206)650-5622
    fax: (425)393-7741
    e-mail: marin.faure@boeing.com