LRO: Re: fuel line fittings

From: Faure, Marin (Marin.Faure@PSS.Boeing.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 12:43:48 EDT

    Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:16:39 -0500 (CDT)
    From: David Scheidt <dscheidt@tumbolia.com>
    Subject: Re: LRO: fuel line fittings

    On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Todd Ondick wrote:

    :Does anyone on the list know the size and thread type of the series fuel
    :line fittings?
    :My dad had a fitch fuel catalyst fitted to his van several months ago after
    :barely squeaking past emmissions. Anyhow, He had it tested afterwards and

    >Why don't you wrap a bunch of twenties around the fuel line? It will have
    exactly the same effect on the performance of the vehicle, and when you
    realize how idiotic the thing is, you can take them off and buy gasoline.
    Until you see a study done by qualified scientists, not in the employ of
    who ever makes the thing, that says it actually performs as claimed, it's a
    fraud.

    Is this the same deal as the cow magnets that were sold as a fuel
    economizer back in the early '80's? For $50 you got a pair of magnets
    (oval cow magnets for getting wire out of cows' stomachs that you can
    buy for 50 cents at a farm supply store), a roll of electrical tape and
    a sheet of instructions. You taped the magnets to either side of the
    fuel line and your mileage would go up. The only time I ever saw this
    work was when a co-worker bought them for his new Plymouth, and
    we started pouring a gallon or two of fuel into his car every day
    at lunchtime. The owner was getting 60 mpg in his Plymouth and was
    preaching to all of us ad nauseum about how incredible these magnets
    were. About three weeks later, we stopped putting fuel in
    the car, and the mileage went back to 16 or 17, whatever it normally
    was. Of course, the owner was stunned. He ordered another set of
    magnets (for $50) and installed them, but it did no good. He remains
    to this day (he still runs them on his current car) that they work based
    on his initial experience, but of course, they don't.

    C. Marin Faure
    Producer/Director, Boeing Video Services
    telephone (425)393-7721
    mobile (206)650-5622
    fax: (425)393-7741
    e-mail: marin.faure@boeing.com