LRO: RE: Cruiser overdrive in Rover (WAS: grim news)

From: Andre Shoumatoff (ashoumat@zoo.uvm.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 00:45:39 EDT

    >> I also have a line on a overdrive that comes out of Australia for the
    >> Land Cruiser. I am going to inquire with the company about adapting it to
    >> the
    >> Rover. Shouldn't be to hard considering they are basicly the same design.
    >> Best I can do for the time being.
    >>

    >Bill,
    >
    >If you could swing that, I'd be interested (as long as there are spares for
    >it). I love my Santana, but I use it as 5th/4 OD almost exclusively,
    >because, it's gotta last (no spares AFAIK)
    >
    >Nate

    The way I would do it is see if someone can adapt the cruiser tranny to the
    Rover engine, then you have the stouter TLC tranny (which easily handles V8s
    of high magnitude), a stouter T-case, and a stouter overdrive. Plus,
    tranny/t-case combos can be had very cheaply and bolt in with fairly little
    fabrication I imagine. I was reading somewhere about a series Rover with
    the Toyota inline 6 and 4 speed direct into a Rover, not too long ago.
    Since the 2F (latest carburetted model) has 132 hp, the axles should hold up
    fine and still have a great crawl ratio with the 4.7s.

    Good luck!
    Andre Shoumatoff 73 Series III 88HT, 79 FJ40
    http://www.uvm.edu/~ashoumat