RE: LRO: head vs engine rebuild

From: Perrone Ford (ford_p@nettally.com)
Date: Tue Apr 17 2001 - 09:38:18 EDT

    This makes little sense. The reasons for rebuilding the top and bottom ends
    are COMEPLETELY different. IT is VERY common to do only top end rebuilds.
    Case in point: Oval track racing. Many racers cannot afford a full rebuild,
    and truthfully they rarely need it. So, at least in Nascar, the bottom is
    disassembled, checked, and put back together, while the top end is rebuilt
    every race. The entire motor is retired every 6-9 races. A bottom rebuild
    isn't done, the motor is retired if the bottom goes south.

    Remember that the bottom end has only two functions. Create vacuum, and
    turn the flywheel. If these two things are happening to spec... leave the
    bottom end alone.

    -P