LRO: Re: 300TDI (ridiculous) prices?

From: Hope Peter (hope_peter@bah.com)
Date: Mon Apr 16 2001 - 00:34:19 EDT

    > Anyone who'd fork over 8-10 large for a series engine has to have more
    > money than brains. For that kind of dough, you can get about 450
    > American EFI ponies and you won't have to convert to full-time 4wd.
    > --

    After seeing the guy from NY asking 12500 for the engine, I figured I would
    do some searching. A 300tdi seems to go for around 2000lbs UK. Around
    2900$ US at current rates. Add in shipping and it still seems like an
    awfull lot of money for an engine. Adapter to go to the Series transmission
    or do you need to fork out for a new transmission and transfer case?
    Article in a recent LROI on doing the conversion in a 90 makes it seem easy
    but no idea on the problems for doing the conversion in a Series. and sounds
    like they don't like the 300tdi with the auto tranny. ECR is pretty good
    about not quoting any prices for the conversion, just 'we charge x dollars
    an hour and have the experiance to get it done quickly'. Guess this is one
    of those, if you have to ask how much, you can't afford it.
    If not doing the fulltime fwd route, I think it would warrent uprated rear
    axle shafts, or a salisbury swap.
    Still sounds like a great engine. Wouldn't mind it in the 110 but still
    believe the 6.2 will be an easier conversion and cheeper.
    Pete