LRO: front cover oil seal -- I need some direction

From: Chris Oles (chris_oles@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 14 2001 - 01:12:33 EDT

    Today I was changing the timing chain and the other bits and decided to
    replace the oil seal in the front cover while I was in there. Glad I did to
    because when I was trying to remove the old one, it crumbled to pieces! It
    was baked onto the cover and after much scraping got it all cleaned up.
    Then while trying to drift the new seal into place with a block of wood and
    a mallot, the front cover seal retaining piece popped off of its rivets and
    the whole assembly came out. Then I found that I was attempting to drift
    the seal into another bronze-type bushing (left over part from old seal?)
    and now I'm not sure what I should do. Couple of Q's at this point:

    1) Can I drill out the rivet bodies and use small, long screws and bolts
    with loctite to keep it all together or should I go back with rivets
    (assuming that I can find some that are long enough), or maybe a new front
    cover is in order (God, I hope not).

    2) Oil seal: The bronze bushing that was left in there; is it possibly
    part of the old seal (an original style seal maybe...)? If so, then I have
    to assume that the new replacement seal will fit snug in the hole in the
    cover against that plate that fell off. Right? The manual isn't
    super-explicit in this area.

    Thanks and oh, BTW, this is on a 2.25 for a 70 SIIa 88.

    Chris