Re: LRO: RE: grim news...

From: Peter Ogilvie (konacoffee2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 13 2001 - 15:41:49 EDT

    Toro was more or less a Faerey, as I understand, so no improvement on the
    Faerey. The Toro might even have been just a rebadged Faerey (correct me if
    I'm wrong). From what I understand, there isn't a lot you can do with the
    internals because of gear teeth compatability and the space you have to work
    with. So the Santana unit wasn't a lot different than the Faerey. It was
    primarily the case that differed. It was larger and allowed more room for
    oil. Quite possibly, it's the added oil capacity and thus cooler running
    and better lubrication of the internals that accounts entirely for the more
    robust reputation of the Santana. All the above is what I gleaned from the
    net so could be wrong.

    Your information is a little dated, Alex. TI Console sold the last of the
    Santana's at least a year ago. The only new O/Ds that are on the market,
    now, are RDS's Faerey units. I believe it was the Santanas that actually
    lead the price rise to over a $1,000, though this is from memory. The
    Santana's weren't cheaper, its just that RDS is now charging more for the
    new Faereys. From what I understand, the Santana unit has no spare parts
    available so if it goes in the direction of RDS, you are SOL. At least with
    the Faerey, you can get parts from George Laird so may be able to keep the
    Faerie going forever or at least your lifttime.

    Aloha
    Peter Ogilvie
    Kona Coffee Rover
    1970 88 soft top, 'huli' Mine since '84 but recovering
         from exposure of the dark side.
    1966 109 pickup 'slime' In my garage since '90, finally up and running
    12/00.
    1965 88 parts car, slowly sinking into the lava.
    196? 88 hard top, possibly 'phoenix' if it rises, it will
         certainly be from ashes or at least a pile of rust