Re: LRO: fuel tanks

From: Mark Pilkington (mark@skywagons.com)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 19:28:29 EDT

    I know, I was concerned about not having plates under my tank too.
    Someone said to remove a plate to be able to paint the tank. I have two
    tanks, one each side and neither has anything under it except a lot of
    dents and scratches. It must have been knocked off!!! My next concern,
    one that I have not tackled yet is that the gear oil drains on both
    differentials have been smeared flat against the casing by being dragged
    against their will over rocks for years. You cannot see the edge, or the
    slot any more. How the hell am I supposed to undo those when I come to
    put oil in there!!!!!! She's had a hard life for sure, I know that
    because the last owner told me as I bought her "she's had a hard life,
    this one" which is always a giveaway. He owned her since new and did all
    the "upgrades" that I am now fixing. The 5.25 liter V8 is the tip of the
    iceberg. You should see where the clutch master cylinder is! He
    pointed at the engine and cocked his head at me and said "don't try to
    get that old engine running, because it's screwed, you'll need to
    replace it. I know........I screwed it!!" This was after 16 years of
    sitting in the woods below his house. 16 summers over 100 degrees and 16
    winters of being buried in snow. Well she needed a little cleaning, but
    she is running as I have mentioned in previous posts. The decision about
    wether the engine needs to be rebuilt or not will be left until I have
    got the tanks back in and the hydraulics for the clutch and brakes back
    on. Next week will be an eye-opener, because I will be able to drive
    her a little. She will be drooling all manner of colored fluids, but
    she will drive. Green from the water pump, black from the engine (old
    oil) and probably red from all four wheels. Once running and drivable,
    with the fenders still off, I will trailer her up the road to a mechanic
    friend of mine who will go right through her from top to bottom, tuning,
    fixing, making, replacing and me paying. I am "in" her nothing, so I
    have allowed myself $4000 to spend fixing her up because that is what
    she will be worth when done. It is frustrating but fun as you well
    know.
    Bored at work, nobody is buying planes today, so I thought I'd ramble a
    bit to kill the time, sorry if anyone was bored too.
    Mark Pilkington