RE: LRO: RE: Hand cranking and engine swaps

From: Easton Trevor A (trevor_easton@dofasco.ca)
Date: Thu Apr 12 2001 - 10:26:41 EDT

    Reminds me of a large diesel I encounted in my youth. I was around 8.5
    litres and drove a water pump on a flow test rig. Hand cranked by lifting a
    decompression lever and winding up to some revs then progressively engaging
    cylinders. Very aerobic and exciting exercise.

    We also used to semi hand crank the 16 cyl Alco engine in the LRC
    locomotives when the batteries were not up to the job (often). Even more
    exciting as it was never designed for hand starting. Procedure was to open
    all the cylinder bleed cocks then using battery power and barring gear spin
    engine over. close cocks one by one. As cylinders started to fire the revs
    would increase and then some open cylinders would fire also so that the last
    eight or so bleed cocks were spouting flame as you reached up to close them.